Tuesday August 18 - Recommended Arrival Day
- Please book your airline ticket to the Pittsburgh International Airport http://www.pitairport.com/ for this day and email your flight number and arrival time to Erin O'Malley at email@example.com.
- When you arrive, a Penn State employee will be waiting at the baggage pick-up holding a sign with your name on it. In case of difficulties please go to the airport information desk and call Erin O’Malley at 412-675-9493.
- A Penn State van will transport you directly to the Greater Allegheny Residence Hall (van pick up is at the arrivals curb directly outside of the baggage claim). In your new room, temporary sheets and blankets for your bed will be provided.
- Once on campus, please let Erin know if you would like to make an international call to your home. We understand your parents are anxiously awaiting your news and we would be happy to assist you in making this call free of charge.
- If you arrive before August 18, 2015, you will need to arrange your own accommodations. (Penn State Greater Allegheny’s International Student Orientation schedule is not the same as Penn State University Park’s schedule.) For a list of local hotels, please visit http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/sleep/ and ask if there is a Penn State discount available. Some students have recommended Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront because of its proximity to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment.
Wednesday August 19 - International Student Orientation
- In addition to campus tours, you will be given time for other activities such as opening a bank account, shopping for practical items for your room, and meeting with the campus nurse to schedule trips to the clinic for required vaccines.
- Participation in document check-in is required on this day —please bring along your passport, I-20 and credit card.
- After these several required tasks have been completed, we will hop on a Ducky Tour (http://www.justduckytours.com) of the city of Pittsburgh. Be sure to pack a camera so you can email your family and friends photos!
Thursday August 20 - Residence Hall move-in day for all new students
- Please be aware that you may receive orientation information for all students about arriving to Penn State Greater Allegheny on August 20th. Because you are an international student you will be participating in the International Orientation and recommended to arrive on August 18th, which is two days earlier than other first-year students.
- You are required to participate in all of the first-year student orientation activities beginning Thursday.
Friday-Saturday August 21-22 - Orientation Too !
- All new students are required to attend the events on Friday and Saturday.
- You will meet your academic adviser and other students in your major, attend the academic convocation, and learn about campus activities.
Living on Campus
If you wish to live on campus, you must request a housing contract online at the same time you accept your offer of admission to Penn State Greater Allegheny. Housing will then send you an email message with an offer for a housing contract and a deadline to accept that offer. Please watch for instructions to accept your housing contract. Spaces on campus are limited. For more information please visit http://www.eliving.psu.edu/ or email Cheryl Shipe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Off-campus housing is also available.
For helpful checklists on what to pack and other information please check www.welcomeweek.psu.edu. Do not put important documents such as your passport in your luggage while traveling because you will need to show these original documents to enter the U.S.
Please bring records of your medical history, immunizations, prescriptions, etc. You are required to provide your immunization history online and you must have proof that you have had a tuberculosis test (PPD) within 6 months of coming to the United States. If you do not have this proof of your immunization, you will need to seek assistance from Campus Nurse Laurie Ventura.
Required Health Insurance
All international students must purchase Penn State health insurance or carry an alternative policy that meets all Penn State waiver standards. Unfortunately, most insurance policies from other countries do not meet Penn State’s requirement so you should be prepared to purchase the policy that Penn State offers. For more information please visit www.sa.psu.edu/uhs/internationalstudents/mandatoryinsurance.cfm.
On Wednesday, August 19, 2015, you will meet with Campus Nurse Laurie Ventura. Please have a credit card, or form of payment to purchase the insurance.
Full payment is due at the beginning of the semester for that semester’s tuition and fees, on-campus housing, meal plans, and medical insurance. Questions? Feel free to email Aaron Whigham at email@example.com.
For More Information
Please contact the persons below if you have any questions now or after you arrive.
|For questions about
|Academic Advising; Course Schedules
||Kris Sciulli, Academic Affairs
|Airport pick-up, Orientation, activities, clubs, Residence Life||Erin O’Malley, Student Affairs||412-675-9493, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Housing contracts, meal plans||Cheryl Shipe, Housing & Food Services
|Tuition, wire transfers||Aaron Whigham, Finance||412-675-9090, email@example.com|
|Medical record, immunizations, help with health insurance||Laurie Ventura, Campus Nurse||412-675-9490, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Athletics||Korie Morton-Rozier, Athletics||412-675-9460, email@example.com
|Pre-arrival documents (I-20, visa)||Directorate of International Student Advising||814-865-6348, firstname.lastname@example.org|